Christmas shopping is always hectic in the final week before the big day, but there’s no need to rush out and panic buy the first thing you see. Our expert Lifestyle team have put together a handy gift buying checklist to help you purchase the perfect present for everyone on your list.
It’s important to do your homework before you set out to the shops, and even more so when you’re in a rush. Just ten minutes thinking time will help you stay focused, keep within budget, and deliver personal and thoughtful gifts.
And a word of caution – don’t forget the gift buying mantra: It’s not about you, it’s about them. It’s very easy when browsing the shops to be drawn to the things you love, rather than the recipient you are buying for. Always keep that in mind!
Gift Buying Tips
Before you hit the shops or online stores, consider the following points:
- What does the recipient like; what are their passions or interests?
- Just as important as their likes, what do they dislike?
- What have you bought them previously? They may have loved last year’s gift but don’t be tempted to repeat the same thing, year on year. This goes from being thoughtful to looking like you have a lack of imagination.
- What do you know about their lifestyle? Your present will need to fit in with their lifestyle choices – for example, a leather wallet may not impress a vegan. Look at the gift and make sure the recipient can fully enjoy it.
- What’s their style? Do they have a particular interior style in their home, or do they dress in a certain way?
- Don’t ever go down the route of something they need. A present should be a desired gift – so no vacuum cleaners or steam washers!
- Budget – it’s a cliché, but it really is true that it’s not about how much you spend, it’s the thought that counts. Stand by your budget – it will help your gift buying stay focused and will keep your credit card in check!
- Presentation – to make your gift feel really special, don’t skimp on the gift wrap. Boxed gifts, or those that have been lovingly wrapped and tied with a bow, really do make the recipient feel extra-special.